Sunday, March 9, 2014

Nami..!!

In each one's life there comes a point when you feel that you are lonely, disheartened and pale. I was in that phase too, where things were messed up with me. I had people to talk to, but I did not want any of them to advice me or judge me with my crap. I just needed a friend who could listen to me, someone whose company would give me some peace of mind.

With all the confusion tormenting my mind, I had to find a place to breathe. I started going to Parvati every morning. It was one of the most beautiful and peaceful places in this city. A pious temple with greenery all over. The view of the city was terrific from the top - I felt like a queen reigning watching tiny little people struggling to get through their day.

This is where I also met Aravya for the first time. A 6 year old, dusky and cute little girl who used to come there with her grandfather everyday. She was in her Upper Kindergarten, but was super fun to talk to.

"Di, why you come here everyday?"

She had asked this to me for the hundredth time now. I had no explanation for her. Instead, I questioned her once,

"Why are you here?"

"I am here for Nami"

I never understood her speech very well. She was a kid with incomplete speech, so most of the times I did not bother what she meant to say. I smiled at her and waited for her grandpa to come back from the temple. He was an old man, maybe in his 60's, or rather younger.. He took her little plump palms in his rough but experienced hands. She looked at him and spoke in her 'bits and pieces' vocabulary.

"Dadu, I not say 'Bye' to Nami"

Her grandfather gave deliberate sadness filled expressions and asked her to go say bye. I watched her run behind the temple premises. I was curious to know who Nami was, therefore, I followed her. She was standing there right behind the temple hugging her Nami.

Nami - was a big Mango tree there.

"So this is Nami?", I asked walking up to her. She simultaneously waved at the tress and nodded her head in approval..

I asked her grandfather about Aravya's Nami. He told me that her mother had passed away right after her birth. She did not have a Mommy and always wanted one. Once her school teacher told her that 'Nature is our Mother, Planet Earth is our mother'.

The next day when she came to Parvati with her grandfather she chose the Mango tree as her Nami. Every morning she used to come to meet her Nami and talk to her in her short but jumbled sentences.

"Why did she chose the Mango tree?"

Her grandfather smiled a little and replied,

"She loves the Kissan mango Jam and thinks it is her mother who makes it for her. So, this mango tree is what makes her delicious Mango Jam. That is why the tree is her Nami."

Though the reason for the mango tree being her Nami was childish and funny. But, she inspired me a lot that day. The little girl found a mother in nature, and here I was upset because I felt lonely. I tried out the Aravya trick, and searched for my friend in nature.

I planted a rose in my corridor the same day and talked to the plant each time I felt lost and alone. The best part was, that my friend was always there for me. What better than the Environment and Nature around me to talk to when low?

This little kid did teach me how to befriend nature who is an inspiration, care taker and a supporter of life. Even though we have spoiled nature so much, it will always be the Nami who would continue to nurtures her kids without any complaints or regrets.

My Post for The Indiblogger - Kissan's #Nature'sfriends contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment